"Go ye therefore and teach all nations . . ." Matthew 28:19

"Go ye therefore and teach all nations . . ." Matthew 28:19

Monday, January 18, 2016

Week 22 - Walk on Water

This week was slower for Elder Shaw and I because we both were battling colds all week. 'Tis the season I suppose. We've started reading the Book of Mormon over again with all of our members. We are taking it chapter by chapter leaving them with commitments to read and pray. It's been amazing. In the past, commitments were forgotten or they simply weren't a priority, but since we've been reading the Book of Mormon over from the beginning our members have done so much better.  They remember to make the time to read. There is real power that comes through diligent prayer and study of the Book of Mormon! 

Our member Chantale's mother is still in the hospital and they called us to come and give her a priesthood blessing. I had a feeling she was going to ask me to give the blessing so the whole time we were talking with her and Chantale, I'm fighting off nerves, trying to stay calm, and praying for help. I've been struggling a lot with understanding and speaking the language the way I would like. I'm okay with the language when it comes to prayers and lessons because I pray and teach so frequently that I am able to quickly learn and fix my mistakes. 

When it comes to blessings, however, I find myself overwhelmed with fear. Fear that the person seeking the blessing needs to be blessed with something I don't know how to say. Fear that I'll be so focused on how to say things that I won't follow the Spirit completely. Fear of inadequacy. 

Well I was right and she asked for me to give her the blessing. I honestly was shaking a bit and had to take 2-3 minutes before giving the blessing to calm down and to memorize the words to start the blessing. From there the Lord took over. I was able to give the blessing completely in French and although I can't remember a lot of what I said, I felt the Spirit and the love of our Father in Heaven so strongly and all my fear fell away. D&C 84:85, "Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." 

Church this week was really powerful. In the lesson we learned about peace. How we obtain peace, how we feel peace, and where we find peace. What hit me about this lesson was the picture at the beginning of the chapter where we see Christ pulling Peter out of the water when he had begun to sink and and was overcome with the fear of drowning. Jesus Christ is the source of all peace. When we come across times when the sea is tossed with waves, the wind is boisterous, our faith is questioned, and we feel ourselves drowning, we must strive to walk towards Christ while the sea around us swells.  As we do so, Christ will save us. "And immediately Jesus stretched forth his  hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" Christ will always save us. We need not ever doubt if we are following Christ and walking towards Him. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.



May we have the faith to walk on water, to perform miracles, and to change lives. I love you all! Have a great week! Stay strong, stay faithful!

Love,

Elder DiReda 

No comments:

Post a Comment